Sunday, February 17, 2013

Revolution Progress and Gay Marriage


Dear Adam,

I recently went to the movies with a date; he opted to watch ‘Lincoln’, I resisted at first since I usually prefer mindless romantic comedies that desire no mental strain whatsoever, I chose not to show my true colors just yet and agreed. The movie is based on biographical events that shaped Lincoln’s life in the White House and his proposed 13th Amendment that outlines federal law to abolish slavery in the United States. This was a difficult time in the U.S. as it was going through a lengthy civil war and its casualties where high. The deep portrayal of Lincoln’s passion towards changing the world as he saw it struck me dumbfounded. His keenness to pass a law that abolishes slavery was a stepping stone for African Americans back in the day and was pivotal towards where we stand today, voting for a second term, a US President of African descent. The sequence of events in our world’s history is immense and there are two factors that are genuinely desired for such milestones to take place: Time and the collective will of a group of individuals. Lincoln claimed that the time was ‘Now’ for the United States to abolish slavery. I believe it was pioneers with the likes of Lincoln that will one day push the world to adopt gay marriage.

The entire movie I felt like I was an African slave caught in chains and this white humble man is freeing me. Being gay in the Arab World, as I am sure cannot be compared to the plight of millions of men and women that toiled their entire lives, is somewhat like being in chains. I feel there is a strong message in the winds towards this world’s progress. 150 years after the abolishment of slavery, they got their rights, were able to vote and were no longer second class citizens. Women as well also fought for their rights towards the right to work and the right to vote, the very right to be equal. It takes a very delicate tipping point to put these cataclysmic movements in momentum.

Lebanon as we know it today is struggling with prejudice against other races, marital rape and victims of domestic violence run high. We suffer so many daily ailments that we have shelved topics like civil marriage. Until today! The time is now to build a collective society and break the chains of the priests and imams that speak for God yet do not really hear when he speaks. One day I do see us moving forward, I do see us moving towards a better life, a freer life with more tolerance and acceptation and a life where we celebrate differences. All it requires is a little time and a little fight from the heart. I hope I see gay marriage in Lebanon one day... one day.. its inevitable it might not happen in this lifetime, but it damn will happen.

Love,
You.

No comments:

Post a Comment